When growing older, it always seems to be getting harder to recollect personal memories of one’s childhood. The more it makes me happy, when I see something that reminds me strongly of my past. Then, my brain becomes sort of a mindmap, connecting images with each other, recreating things that seemed to be forgotten. And then I just smile in nostalgia. I really had to encourage myself to write these things down because our mind forgets too easily.
So here are 7 things that remind me of my childhood:
1. Daisies: I remember one time, my former best friend from elementary school asked me: “Mimi, have you ever tried daisies?” I looked at her totally disgusted. She told me her parents would always put them into their salad (which was obviously a lie because her parents didn’t know anything about this). But I couldn’t resist, I really had to try it in quite disbelief. And I tell you guys, it was really not bad. Yummy!
2. Hey Arnold: you know this old series, which have been aired on Super RTL? I do. And it was the best series ever. Even today it’s still entertaining. Oh football head…
3. Rainbow Fish: I can’t even remember the plot. But I do well remember the hardcover of the book with those silver fish scales. I loved to touch them.
4. The scrunch of shoes while walking: best sound ever. It reminds me of my father carrying me on his back, while I was falling asleep. It was always so comfortable.
5. Shamrocks: who doesn’t know the legend that if someone finds a four-leaved shamrock will have luck until the end of lifetime? Well, I have never found one. :(
6. Animal scrunchies: This is because my parents always made me two pigtails with those big animal scrunchies with the rolling eyes.. guess I must have looked a little crazy to foreign people.
7.The Smurfs:: Sometimes I still listen to them and dance to their great techno sound through my whole room!